Itasca, IL –
The back-to-school season is a time that can be stressful for both parents and students. For this reason, the National Safety Council has partnered with First Student, the largest provider of student transportation services in North America, to highlight school safety tips at nsc.org/back2school.
“We are pleased to once again to partner with the National Safety Council to highlight back to school safety,” said Gary Catapano, senior vice president of safety for First Student. “Getting students to and from school safely is a top priority for parents and caregivers. The safety information provided during this campaign allows students, parents and motorists to see the critical role they play in the process.”
School safety covers a variety of topics, such as school buses, backpacks, playgrounds and more. By following these simple tips, children can be better prepared as the school year begins:
- Look for a backpack with multiple compartments and padding to evenly distribute weight on your child’s back
- Encourage your child to play on soft surfaces during recess
- Educate your child on how to be a good passenger on a school bus – including clearing aisles and staying seated
- When the school bus arrives, have your kids stand at least three giant steps (6 feet) away from the curb
- Children should always walk on the sidewalk, if available; if not, have them walk facing traffic
"Starting a new school year is an exciting milestone for families across the nation," said Deborah A.P. Hersman, NSC president and CEO. “Sadly, this time of the year also brings new risks that parents and children should discuss. Nothing is more important than the safety of your children, so talking about these issues as a family is a first step in prevention.”
All motorists also need to be aware of the sudden change in the number of children walking to and from the bus stop and school in the morning and afternoon with school back in session. Tips for motorist include:
- Exercise extra caution as sun glare can be a factor during these times
- Come to a complete stop at a safe distance from the bus when the red lights are flashing and the stop sign arm is extended - this indicates the bus is stopped and children are getting off the bus
- Never pass a stopped school bus - it is illegal in all 50 states
About the National Safety Council
Founded in 1913 and chartered by Congress, the National Safety Council, nsc.org, is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to save lives by preventing injuries and deaths at work, in homes and communities, and on the road through leadership, research, education and advocacy. NSC advances this mission by partnering with businesses, government agencies, elected officials and the public in areas where we can make the most impact – distracted driving, teen driving, workplace safety, prescription drug overdoses and Safe Communities.
About First Student
First Student, Inc. - a division of Cincinnati, Ohio-based FirstGroup America - is the largest provider of safe, reliable, sustainable student transportation services in North America. The company safely transports approximately 6 million students every day in the US and Canada, using a fleet of more than 54,000 buses. The safety and security of its passengers is the company’s core value, and First Student marked 2011 – 2012 as its safest year ever, reducing the number of injuries and incidents significantly. For more information on First Student, please visit www.firststudentinc.com
or follow the company on Facebook (facebook.com/FirstStudent) and Twitter (@FirstStudentInc).