Itasca, IL – The National Safety Council awarded eight companies Safety Leadership Awards in January. Recipients have achieved five consecutive years without an occupational injury or illness resulting in lost employee work days or death.
In 2008, work injuries cost the nation $183 billion. There were an estimated 4,303 unintentional work deaths. Companies that motivate and inspire safe behavior are able to reduce workplace injuries and deaths and improve their bottom lines. When employees are encouraged and recognized for safe behavior, companies can build strong corporate safety cultures.
Safety Leadership Awards, part of the council's Safety Motivation and Recognition Award Programs, recognized the following companies:
- CH2M HILL, PacifiCorp – SLC, Salt Lake City, UT
- CDM Federal Programs Corp., Oak Ridge Environmental Compliance Services, Oak Ridge, TN
- CH2M Hill O&MBG, Swainsboro, GA
- CH2M HILL O&MBG, Waste & Water Treatment, Washington, GA
- CH2M Hill, IBM – BTV, Burlington, VT
- CH2M Hill, IBM – EFK, East Fishkill, NY
- CH2M Hill, IBM – POK, Poughkeepsie, NY
- CH2M Hill Lehigh, Allentown, PA
The National Safety Council (www.nsc.org) saves lives by preventing injuries and deaths at work, in homes and communities, and on the roads, through leadership, research, education and advocacy.