Itasca, IL – The National Safety Council awarded six companies Safety Leadership Awards and three companies Superior Safety Performance Awards in February. Safety Leadership recipients have achieved five consecutive years and Superior Safety Performance recipients have achieved 10 consecutive years without an occupational injury or illness resulting in lost employee work days or death.
In 2008, work injuries cost the nation $183 billion. There were an estimated 4,303 unintentional work deaths. Companies that motivate and inspire safe behavior are able to reduce workplace injuries and deaths and improve their bottom lines. When employees are encouraged and recognized for safe behavior, companies can build strong corporate safety cultures.
Safety Leadership Awards and Superior Safety Performance Awards are part of the council’s Safety Motivation and Recognition Award Program. Congratulations to the following nine companies:
- CH2M Hill, San Marcos TX Project, San Marcos, TX
- Hunter Panels, LLC, Lake City, FL
- Lockheed Martin Cargo Mission Contract, Houston, TX
- RMF Nooter, Toledo, OH
- URS, Conoco Phillips Refinery, South Roxana, IL
- Xcel Energy/Valmont Station, Boulder, CO
- Aquamatrix, Inc., Midlothian, TX
- Highland Industries, Inc., Cheraw Plant, Cheraw, SC
- Med-Tex Services, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
The National Safety Council (www.nsc.org) saves lives by preventing injuries and deaths at work, in homes and communities, and on the roads, through leadership, research, education and advocacy.