Partnership Goal: Eliminate Traffic Fatalities
Tens of thousands of people die on U.S. roads every year, and the fatality trend is going in the wrong direction. After a decade of record declines, traffic fatalities increased 14% from 2014-2016, the largest two-year increase in more than 50 years.
In October 2016, the National Safety Council, in partnership with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, announced the Road to Zero initiative. Its aim: To eliminate traffic fatalities by 2050.
Zero traffic deaths sounds like a lofty goal, but it's attainable based on a few driving principles:
- Traffic fatalities are preventable
- A future with zero traffic deaths is more certain than ever with the emergence of self-driving cars and the
Safe Systems transportation approach
- A coordinated effort that brings together multiple stakeholders with the same goal can achieve more than individual organizations working independently
The initiative builds on the national
Behavioral Change in Traffic Safety conference held earlier this year. Road to Zero expands the discussion to include not only representatives of roadway, behavioral and vehicle safety, but also nonprofit groups, public health officials and technology companies – dozens of organizations working together to develop a coordinated approach to highway safety.
Growing the Coalition
We are continuously growing coalition membership. If your organization is interested in joining the Road to Zero initiative, please fill out this
The coalition will:
- Examine and promote current behavior-change strategies and improve their effectiveness
- Be more intense and coordinated in its response
- Develop a zero-traffic-deaths scenario through strategic deployment of self-driving cars; this will reveal needs that haven't been considered and create a planning tool for policymakers and traffic safety organizations
- Provide funds to traffic safety organizations on a competitive basis for work on priority programs
Long-term Visioning Report
The third strand of Road to Zero is to produce the Long-term Visioning Report detailing what will be needed to get to zero traffic fatalities by 2050. This report is the result of input from a wide variety of stakeholders over seven days of listening sessions. The report is due to be released in 2018.
It is only through a coordinated effort that we can achieve zero deaths by 2050, and we are on track to do just that. For more information, email