The Out-of-State Program is designed for drivers that must attend a Massachusetts Driver Retraining Program but no longer live in Massachusetts. To participate in the Out-of-State Program, the driver must provide proof of residency showing that they currently live outside Massachusetts. Please note, residency in Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island does not qualify for the Out-of-State Program. If you reside in one of those four states, you must return to Massachusetts to complete the Driver Retraining Program.
You must provide
ONE of the proof of residency items below, which will be valid for 90 days from the date of submittal – no exceptions. Proof of residency
must be dated within the past 30 days and must be one of the following:
- Utility bill (Electric, Gas or Water bills
- Military orders
- College enrollment verification form, which
MUST include your college's address
- Extended business assignment (on company letterhead)
- If out of state for a treatment program, something on the facilities letterhead (for privacy purposes, please do not include anything on the letter other than your name, your address or facility address, and the date of your assignment.
Please do not document any private medical information.
- Copy of your state's license/ID or recent pay stub
Due to security concerns with personal information, we can only accept a copy of your state's license/ID or pay stub via mail to National Safety Council, Attn: Out of State Deptartment, 200 Salina Meadows Parkway, Syracuse, NY 13212. Please do not email or fax these documents.
Once your valid proof of residency is received, you will receive a second email explaining how to complete your class requirement in your current state. Please note, the RMV requires we provide an out-of-state course at an NSC Training Center that is within a reasonable radius of three hours from your proof of residency – no exceptions.
A non-refundable course registration fee will vary by out-of-state Training Center location and will need to be paid directly to the Training Center at the time of class enrollment for their services.
After completing the class, the following items must be submitted to NSC:
- A copy of the NSC Certificate of Completion provided by the Training Center to be faxed or emailed
- A non-refundable out-of-state administrative state processing fee of $75. The fee will be paid directly to NSC by debit or credit card through customer service. If you mail in a personal check, please be advised that there is an 18-day holding period, and this will delay your completion from being transmitted to MA RMV.
Please note, the fee in Step 2 and the administrative processing fee are both different than your RMV suspended license reinstatement fee.
- Special circumstances may also require you to mail in a curriculum packet completed answer sheet. If this applies to you it will be noted in the Step 2 email.
Once all items are received by NSC, you will receive an email confirmation that your completion is being processed. NSC electronically transmits the completion within 24 to 48 hours to MA RMV. RMV updates your record within four business days.
The items need to be sent to the Out-of-State Department via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (315) 453-7000.