Ice skating is a fun winter activity, and also a great exercise! The National Safety Council offers these tips to help you and your family enjoy safe skating.
- Wear skates that fit comfortably and provide enough ankle support to keep you on your feet.
- Have the blades professionally sharpened at the beginning of each season.
- Skate only on specially prepared skating areas where you are sure the ice is strong enough to withstand your weight.
- Always check for cracks, holes and other debris.
- Before setting out on your skating expedition, learn basic skating skills, such as how to stop and fall safely.
- Wear warm clothing and rest when you become tired or cold.
- Never skate alone.