Washington – OSHA is reminding major retail employers to take steps to prevent worker injuries during major sales events such as Black Friday.
In response to the 2008 death of a worker trampled by a mob of shoppers, OSHA issued a fact sheet on crowd management safety. Recommendations include:
- Have trained security personnel or police officers onsite.
- Set up barricades or rope lines before customers arrive.
- Develop an emergency procedure to address potential dangers.
- Explain entrance procedures to the public.
- Do not allow customers inside once the store reaches maximum capacity.
- Do not block or lock exit doors.