A NIOSH publication (.pdf file) addresses preventing slips, trips
and falls in wholesale and retail trade establishments.
Slips, trip and falls – the third most common cause of lost-workday injuries in wholesale and retail trade – occur due to
factors such as slippery surfaces; loose mats or rugs; poor
lighting; employee fatigue; and inappropriate, loose or poor-fitting
footwear, according to NIOSH.
The tips offered include:
- Ensure aisles are free of clutter and other tripping
- Provide cleanup supplies at convenient locations in the
- Place water-absorbent mats near entrances and areas where water,
ice or snow may be tracked onto the floor.
- Train employees on identifying and preventing slip, trip and
Employees can help by taking the following precautions:
- Push (rather than pull) carts to allow a better line of
- Walk with caution and make wide turns at corners.
- Clean surfaces as soon as they become wet.
- Place warning signs in wet floor areas and remove them when
floor is clean and dry.