Health and Safety Resources for Employers from NSC
This space is dedicated to health and safety resources created by the National Safety Council and its partner organizations.
The COVID-19 Cost Calculator, developed by NSC and Verdantix, estimates the costs to your company of an infectious disease and identifies how much you could save by implementing a mitigation strategy. It can be used to estimate costs incurred or mitigated during COVID-19, specifically, as well as to generalize the expense and savings of responding proactively to future infectious disease outbreaks and pandemics.
Enter the size of your workforce, average salary and other information to see how much is spent per employee during an outbreak with and without mitigations like a new ventilation system and PPE.
Mental Health Checklists from the National Safety Council
A lot of information is being shared on the use of respirators and face coverings. Here are some facts from NSC to provide clarity. Federal guidelines on face coverings and PPE can be found here.
Fatigue can have devastating effects in terms of injuries and fatalities. With some essential businesses transitioning to 24/7 operations and longer hours for employees, NSC offers this helpful tip sheet on addressing workplace fatigue. For more information, visit nsc.org/fatigue.
This NSC tip sheet discusses how to create a response team, collect reliable information, understand organizational risks and develop a communication strategy.
Safety for Manufacturing Employees
Boston Consulting Group put together this comprehensive presentation that includes information on manufacturing best practices for prevention and safety, the role of leadership, how to approach communications and more.
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that can spread quickly, so it's important to focus on prevention. NSC members can find the following tools - and much more - on the member COVID-19 resources page. Start a discussion about actions you can take to ensure a safe working environment. NSC members, please log in to see what's new. Not a member? Learn how you can join.
● Safety Talk: Taking Care of Your Mental Health During COVID-19
● Safety Talk: Coronavirus - What Employees Can Do
● Safety Talk: Managing Stress During a Time of Crisis
● Safety Talk: Work-from-home Best Practices in the Midst of COVID-19
● Safety Talk: Ergonomics at Home
● Checklist: Social Distancing for Employees in the Workplace
● Checklist: Social Engagement While Working Remotely
● Poster: You Are Not Alone. Your Wellbeing is Our Priority
Federal agencies provide the most accurate and comprehensive health information related to COVID-19 and should be your first stop when seeking health advice. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, if you have a fever or cough, you might have COVID-19. "Most people have mild illness and are able to recover at home. Keep track of your symptoms. If you have an emergency warning sign (including trouble breathing), get medical attention right away." – CDC
The following websites are updated regularly:
● To combat the spread of COVID-19, FEMA has established a website that includes information on how to donate excess medical supplies or equipment. To donate your company's non-medical goods or services, please submit your inquiry to the Department of Homeland Security Procurement Action Innovative Response Team.
● How to Donate Personal Protective Equipment: To combat the shortage of PPE, a grassroots citizen group has set up DonatePPE.org, to collect gear to send to hospitals and to assist with student donation drives. The group is collecting N95 masks, face masks, isolation gowns, face shields, goggles, disposable head covers, PAPRs, P100 respirators, scrubs, shoe-covers, disinfectant wipes and liquids, general purpose hand cleansers and more.