Houston – On Monday, the National Safety Council hosted its National Awards Celebration in Houston, recognizing individuals and organizations for helping make communities, workplaces and roads in the U.S. safer. The event is held annually in conjunction with the NSC Congress and Expo, the nation’s largest annual gathering of safety and health professionals.
Recognition categories included:
- Community Advancement Awards – presented to entities that are dedicated to safety at work and have also committed time and resources to bring safety into the community
- 2018 Rising Stars of Safety – recognizing tomorrow’s leaders under the age of 40 for their commitment to safety, influence on safety culture and creation of safety initiatives producing measureable outcomes
- Workplace Safety Awards – honoring collective safety achievements and the implementation of effective safety policies and procedures
- Corporate Culture of Safety Awards – recognizing organizations that have been the recipient of more than 50 awards through the NSC Awards Program in 2018
- Joseph M. Kaplan Safe Drivers of the Year – recognizing professional drivers nominated for their total driving record, including miles and years driven without a preventable crash
- DDC Instructor of the Year Awards – recognizing the best-of-the-best defensive driving instructors. An Instructor of the Year is recognized for each program NSC offers, and one overall Instructor of the Year winner is named. This year, an organization was also awarded the Commitment to Driver Safety Award.
- Teen Driving Safety Leadership Award – honoring work done by an organization to change behaviors that could lead to teen car crashes. This year’s winner, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Take Action Against Distraction License Plate Design Contest, focused on building awareness of the issue through a low-cost grassroots campaign around distracted driving that resulted in hundreds of thousands of social media impressions.
The National Safety Council congratulates these individuals and organizations for their dedication to saving lives and preventing injuries. Learn more about the NSC awards programs here.
About the National Safety Council
The National Safety Council is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate preventable deaths at work, in homes and communities, and on the road through leadership, research, education and advocacy. Founded in 1913 and chartered by Congress, NSC advances this mission by partnering with businesses, government agencies, elected officials and the public in areas where we can make the most impact.