With 157 million people in the U.S. workforce, employers play a critical role in helping the American public understand the benefits a vaccine brings. Experts project at least 60-70% of the population needs immunity, through either vaccination or previous exposure, in order to end the pandemic. While vaccines for various illnesses tend to illicit strong feelings on both sides, widespread support for the COVID-19 vaccine is critical – not just to the health of our population. Our economic recovery depends on it.
Business leaders can do their part by:
- Educating employees about the vaccine to make an informed choice when eligible
- Supporting opportunities for employees to get the vaccine once it is widely available
- Review your current flu shot program so you have a plan in place when vaccines are widely available
- Partner with local healthcare provider
- Developing a plan to communicate to employees to answers questions related to the vaccine – including legal rights of both employees and employers when it comes to requiring vaccines
- Use this framework to guide your vaccine strategy development
- Check out this COVID-19 vaccine federal guidance for occupations
- Continuing to reinforce proven COVID-19 safety precautions – encouraging face coverings, hand-washing, physical distancing, remote work for nonessential employees, testing, and contact tracing – to stop the spread.
Check back for additional resources from the NSC SAFER taskforce. Sign up to be notified when new materials become available.