IL Probationary License Program FAQ

Illinois Probationary License Program: Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I contact you if I have a question?

    Our contact information is:

    What do I do if I did not mail my license in two weeks before my suspension date?

    If you have a current Illinois drivers license, mail it immediately to:

    National Safety Council
    200 Salina Meadows Parkway, Suite 200
    Syracuse, NY 13212

    If your license has been lost, or you do not have it, you must contact National Safety Council and we will mail you a document to sign and return. The document can be mailed, faxed or emailed to you.

    What if I'm driving on a ticket?

    The first thing you need to do is pay the ticket. Once the ticket is paid, your license will be returned to you and you can mail it in ONLY if your suspension has not started. If your suspension has started, you still have to pay the ticket; however, your license will not be returned to you. A form must be completed. It can be faxed, mailed or emailed to you.

    Can my temporary license be used to drive in other states?

    Yes. It can be used in some, but not all states. It is up to you to check with the state motor vehicle department where you are traveling and ask if your Illinois probationary license is an approved form of license for that specific state.

    What if I miss my scheduled class and have to schedule another one?

    You must call NSC to schedule another class. You will be required to pay a nonrefundable, mandatory fee of $125.

    Is this class required?

    No, the State of Illinois does not require you to take our course. If you do not take the course, you are unable to drive during your suspension period. However, if you wish to drive legally for the next three months, we encourage you to take the class. If you are not able to rely on public transportation for the next three months, you should take the course.

    When will I get my license back?

    The State of Illinois requires you to pay a fee to get your license back. Once this is paid, your current Illinois drivers license will be mailed back to you by the Secretary of State. You should receive your drivers license within two business days of the end of your suspension period.

    Can I use my temporary license to rent a car or fly?

    Yes, but you will be required to show a photo ID along with it. Acceptable forms of photo ID include passport, state ID, etc. Please be sure to check with the airline and rental car company to see what they accept.

    Can I take the Probationary License course after my suspension has started?

    Yes, however your temporary license will have the date it was issued by the state, and that cannot be changed.

    Will I receive a certificate in the mail or after class?

    Completion certificates can be mailed to drivers who have taken a Probationary class and who call us to ask for the certificate to be mailed. If you do not call to have a certificate mailed, a certificate will not be mailed.

    IMPORTANT: A CDL driver can take the Probationary License Program but will ONLY be able to drive a personal car; they are not allowed to drive commercial vehicles for ANY purpose with a temporary license.